- 3lbs cooked beetroot (cooked in water not vinegar) still warm
- 3 Large onions chopped
- 3 Large cooking apples, (no need to peel) cored and diced in smallish pieces
- 1 1/2 Pints malt vinegar
- 3 Tsp ground ginger
- 1 Lemon, use the rind and juice
- 2 to 4 ozs raisins (Optional)
- You will need up to 12ozs of sugar should you decide to store the chutney
- Boil the beetroot until cooked.
- Meanwhile put all the other ingredients except the raisins in a pan, bring to the boil and allow to just bubble for about 30 mins.
- Peel the beetroot, cube & add to the pan.
- This will now need to cook for around 45 to 60 mins until it is thick
- Add the raisins if using when you see the chutney start to thicken.10 mins is enough for the raisins.
- Add up to 12 ozs of sugar if you intend to store the chutney
This is a really delicious mild chutney, and will keep for a long time. Store in a dark place for about 6 to 8 weeks before using. A bit longer if possible.