- 1/2 a small red onion, sliced very finely
- 2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar, I love moscatel vinegar
- 4 medium sized beetroot, washed very throughly but skin left on
- 2-3 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- a few coriander leaves
- salt and black pepper
- Place the sliced onion in a small bowl and tip over the vinegar, this not only tempers the strong flavour but also helps the onion look turn sugary pink too.
- Now slice the beetroot as wafer thin as you can, a mandoline is the ideal tool but a very sharp knife and plenty of patience will do just fine.
- Lay the beetroot slices out on a platter. Sprinkle over the onion and the vinegar. Drizzle over the rapeseed oil, toss on the coriander and season well.