This carrot and parsnip mash makes a fantastically delicious side to a Sunday roast or Christmas dinner.
- 675g carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1kg parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 100g butter, diced
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep 15mins > cook 20 mins > ready 35 mins
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add carrots, cover partially, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add parsnips, and cover partially. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Return vegetables to saucepan, and stir over medium heat until any excess moisture evaporates.
- Transfer to food processor. Add butter, and process until smooth.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Can be made 4 hours ahead.
- Warm over low heat, stirring often.
- Transfer to bowl. Serve.