An alternative to mashed potato.
- 1 celeriac, peeled
- olive oil
- 1 handful fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons water or stock
- Slice about 1cm/½ inch off the bottom of your celeriac and roll it on to that flat edge, so it’s nice and safe to slice. Slice and dice it all up into 1cm/½ inch-ish cubes
- Put a casserole-type pot on a high heat, add 3 good lugs of olive oil, then add the celeriac, thyme and garlic, with a little seasoning.
- Stir around to coat and fry quite fast, giving a little colour, for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, add the water or stock, place a lid on top and cook for around 25 minutes, until tender.
- Season carefully to taste, mash & serve.