The potato is sometimes overlooked, so here’s a recipe which we hope you will enjoy.
- 450g/1lb small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 150ml/ ¼ pint / 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Pour a little of the oil into a shallow roasting tin to coat the bottom. Heat the oil in a preheated oven 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes to the tin & brush them with the hot oil.
- In a small bowl mix together the chilli powder, caraway seeds & salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the potatoes, turning to coat them all over.
- Add the remaining oil to the tin & roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Using a perforated spoon transfer the potatoes to a warm serving dish & sprinkle the chopped basil over the top & serve immediately.
Cook’s tip: these spicy potatoes are ideal for serving with plain meat dishes such as roasted or grilled lamb, pork or chicken.
Variation: use any other spice of your choice, such as curry powder or paprika.