Would also work with blue cheese.
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 2 medium leeks
- 200g Brie or similar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mild mustard, such as Dijon
- 1 oz butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
- 2 eggs
- 100ml double cream
- teaspoon ground salt
- Preheat oven to 180 c
- Trim the tops & roots off leeks. Cut them in half lengthways & wash under running water, fanning open the layers to remove all the grit & mud.
- Slice the leeks into 1cm slices & dry well.
- Heat the butter & oil in a pan & sauté the leeks gently for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Mix together the nutmeg, cream, eggs & salt & beat well.
- Trim the rind off the brie & slice thinly
- Roll out the pastry to line a 7 inch flan dish & trim the edges
- Arrange a layer of brie on the bottom of the pastry. Top with half of the leeks, then pour in half of the egg mixture. Mix gently. Top with the rest of the brie. Then add the rest of the leeks & egg mixture.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes until the tart has set (ie the mixture is cooked)
- Serve warm with veg. also great to add cranberry sauce.
Serves 4 – takes 1 hour 10 minutes