- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium parsnip
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Chicken or vegetable stock cube
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- Peel & roughly slice the carrots
- Slice the celery
- Peel & roughly chop the onions
- Peel & roughly chop the parsnip
- Peel & slice the garlic
- Put a large pan on a medium heat & add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add all chopped & sliced ingredients & mix together with a wooden spoon. Cook for around 10 minutes with the lid partly open, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape & the onion is lightly golden.
- Put the stock cube into a jug or pan & pour 1.8 litres of boiling water from the kettle. Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the vegetables. Add pinch of nutmeg. Give the soup a good stir & bring to the boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for fifteen minutes with the lid on.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Using a hand blender or liquidiser, pulse the soup until smooth. The soup is now ready to serve.
You can also substitute the nutmeg with freshly chopped rosemary.