Serves 6 to 8
- 50g/2oz butter or can use olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 750g (1.5lb) parsnips, chopped
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- Salt & white pepper
- 300ml (1/4 pint) single cream
- 1 red apple, diced & tossed in lemon juice to garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter or olive oil in a large pan, stir in the curry powder & cook for 2 minutes
- Add the onions & parsnips & cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, salt & pepper to taste
- Bring to the boil & cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- Sieve or work in an electric blender until smooth. Return to the pan & add the milk & cream. Bring to the boil, stirring, check the seasoning & serve immediately, garnished with the apple (optional)
You can also use this recipe for either carrot or swede, instead of parsnips.